Monday, June 01, 2009

evening walk

Photos from my favorite night walking route.


Our corner is so neglected and urban, I forget that the rest of the neighborhood is quiet and leafy. This is looking south, but I'm headed north.
















I like this walk because you gain elevation without hiking straight up a hill. You also experience the full range of architectural styles that Salt Lake has to offer. I didn't get any good photos of the neighborhood homes.

The next photo doesn't do justice, but this walk has an exciting element of danger! It involves crossing the street (8th South) at the bottom of a very steep hill with no visibility. The concrete median in the middle is where you stop before running for your life across the downhill lanes. Supposedly, they are going to fix this. Gets the adrenaline running, though! Rocky Mountain Power is putting in those gargantuan power poles (the rusty colored ones) up and down the street, which the neighbors tried to fight. A minor compromise was reached, but those things are just feet away from the front yards of the houses on the left.














































The catholic high school and church at 11th East and 7th South. A view of downtown can be seen from here.














This is where I turn east one block and then head back toward home.

Below is the entrance from 12th East into the hallowed grounds of Gilmer Park.















And, of course, the hallowed grounds of the Garden Park Ward building.






















1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

That looks like a very lovely walk. Nothing like a good walk and a sunset to clear your head at the end of the day. We've taken to riding bikes and it's so nice and relaxing.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home