Friday, August 17, 2012

storm king art center

Going it alone on a vacation is an interesting experience, there is a lot of time to think.  And surprisingly, for spending a week in Manhattan, I have spent most of that outside and in nature.  An hour and a half by bus from Port Authority Bus Terminal (crazy place) is the largest sculpture park in the country.  Here are some photos.  I was prepared for the scale of the park (500 acres) but not the scale of the artworks.   Massive.   I only had four hours, so I rented a bike for twice what admission cost me so I could see everything in time.  I tried to place orange bike or tourists in my photos, but the tourists were few and far between, and sometimes I had to leave the bike so I could walk to the sculptures.  Most of the large sculptures in these photos are over 3 stories high, to give an idea of scale.  Many of them had their own half acre of lawn to sit on.

My favorite piece I mistook for a Richard Serra but was actually by an artist I've never encountered before - Menashe Kadishman .  I will point it out in the photos.








 

This one was my favorite:














2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Beautiful nature to enjoy! Is your favortie hovering? I love the reflective fence

9:12 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, that place is amazing! I need to make it to the east coast one of these days. Thanks for sharing all the pictures!

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home