help with my camera
So I continually try different settings, but I can't remember which settings produced which results. Those of you with cameras, can you figure these out? My camera is capable of greatness, I just can't seem to do it on purpose.
Let's start with what I consider a good photo - true color, not too washed out, rich deep tones and good light tones. I have no idea how I got this, but once in a while I do it, then neglect to write down the settings. I definitely want to avoid using the flash.

This one got will's skin tone a bit off - kind of grey, otherwise, it's close.

Now here's one I took recently. The color and light are there, but so blurry and grainy.

This is one I took today, and no matter how many settings I tried, he got washed out:

Any ideas how to get back to the first photo - deep color/rich tones, good contrast, no blurriness, not grainy, and not washed - out?
Let's start with what I consider a good photo - true color, not too washed out, rich deep tones and good light tones. I have no idea how I got this, but once in a while I do it, then neglect to write down the settings. I definitely want to avoid using the flash.

This one got will's skin tone a bit off - kind of grey, otherwise, it's close.
Now here's one I took recently. The color and light are there, but so blurry and grainy.
This is one I took today, and no matter how many settings I tried, he got washed out:
Any ideas how to get back to the first photo - deep color/rich tones, good contrast, no blurriness, not grainy, and not washed - out?

3 Comments:
Couple of things to keep track of. Setting the iso higher makes it more sensitive to light (and hence able to take photos in lower light without the flash) but has a tradeoff of being more grainy. If it has auto iso, I'd set it on that, otherwise probably keep it at 100 or 200. If you're on a setting that basically automatically determines exposure, I generally turn down a setting called "exposure compensation", which essentially determines how light you want the camera to try to make the photo. So I'd set the exposure compensation anywhere from -1/3 to -1. When you're taking a photo with a big light spot and a big dark spot (as with the photo of Theo's chin) you may want to aim the camera more towards the light when you first press the shutter halfway, so it will know to tone down its exposure, then aim it back at your target for the second half of the click.
Photography for Dummies is a really great book. It has a lot of info and it's in English. I browse it every now and then and every time I remember something new :)
I'm glad you posted this question! Andrew got me a "great" camera for my birthday and I still can't figure out how to not take blurry photos (I even read the manual..what?!).
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home