Wednesday, September 26, 2012

my neighborhood

As you all remember, my neighborhood used to be a bit rough around the edges.  Same with my house.   All through the years I've often thought about giving up on my home and my neighborhood, and moving to greener pastures, finding a home that is in a beautiful place, that is finished, and doesn't need the amount of work that this one does.  But always I got the same answer.  Stay.  So here I still am.  And I can't express how glad I am that I stayed put.  Often, when we are tempted to give up on things, it is because the thing we want to give up on is actually valuable, but we just can't see it so we de-value it.

Last year, a cool, interesting building went up next door, and, among other things, it houses a restaurant.  My corner has gone from decrepit to beautiful, full of laughter, people coming and going and talking, music, light and life.  Across the street, a mural appeared about a year ago.  People take family portraits or fashion photographs in front of it.  This year, in order to calm my heart, I began work on my own house. I can't believe the difference it has made, just with the few things my dad and I have done to the place.  All it needed was some time and attention, and love.

Sticking through dark ugly times yields really amazing results.




3 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Emily, I love the new color of the house!!!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

I'm hoping there's something renovation-y I can help with when I come.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oooh, looking good! I can't wait to see what you've done and the improvements to the neighborhood when we come visit next. :D

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home