Friday, October 05, 2012

vitamin D

This post is mostly for those on my side of the family who suffer from chronic pain and extreme fatigue.  After bothering doctors about this for the past 15 years, and always coming back with normal results, I finally decided to go see an endocrinologist.  Today he called me back, and though, again, all the usual suspects were normal (thyroid, hormones, etc.) he discovered that I have a severe, severe vitamin D deficiency.  The cause for this in my case of course isn't known yet, but one of the causes is gluten intolerance, another is liver problems (thanks mom!)  :)  One of the other weird symptoms I have is pitting edema in my legs, also caused by this.  So if any of you are feeling like this and no tests show conclusive results, have your D checked out!  My kids keep telling me they wish I could run around and play.  I wish for it, too.  I'm hoping in 8 weeks I'll be able to do just that!

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Good to know! I hope that whatever the problem is for you, it's an easy fix.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Have you noticed any improvement yet? Jonathan recently found out he has a D defficiency as well. No pills yet, we're trying food first.

10:20 AM  
Blogger mnlop said...

Not yet. Mine is most likely due to an underlying illness (kidney, liver, or celiac). A lot of people these days have somewhat of a deficiency, others have a profound one. Did he get tested and if so did they recommend a dosage? I have to take 100,000 iu's a week for four weeks.

11:48 AM  
Blogger mnlop said...

I should clarify that's a prescription strength dosage!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

No dosage mentioned, he hated the thought of adding another pill

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home